Duration: 40 hours (taught in
non-urban setting) with optional overnight stay
Cost: $449 + HST (Recertification: $249 + HST)
Advanced level of wilderness first aid that covers material from the 20-hour Remote First Aid program, layering enhanced material on techniques to match challenging environments with varied risk levels. Course also offers strategies for providing extended care overnight on an expedition or multi-day trip in the wilderness.
Suitable for individuals who work in a wilderness setting (3 or more hours from organized health care) with challenging environments and/or varied risk levels and require skills to promote safety for themselves and peers (leading groups in a professional capacity), including those who wish to become professional guides, parks officials and/or work in fields such as recreation and ecotourism. The course is taught in an outdoor setting all year round and requires greater physical activity and endurance than typical first aid training. You do not require the Basic course prior to taking this course. You may also upgrade to this Advanced level from Remote First Aid (RFA).
100% attendance, skills demonstration, and 75% min. passing grade on written quiz
3-year certification in Wilderness First Aid
16-20 hour recertification. Proof of valid Red Cross WFA certificate required.
- Urban vs Remote First Aid
- Planning and assessment
- Circulation emergencies
- CPR and AED
- Breathing emergencies
- Wound care
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Bone, muscle and join injuries
- Sudden medical emergencies
- Environmental injuries and illnesses
- Extended care and decision-making
- Evacuation: transporting the ill or injured person
- Planning, prevention, group health and wellness
- Leadership skills
- Human and environmental hazard assessment
- Rescue breathing, Full-face helmet removal
- Discontinuing spinal precautions
- Realigning fractures / relocating dislocations
- Communications and signaling
In addition to advanced skills and LOADS of additional scenarios, WFA places a strong focus on leadership and team management.
Optional Overnight Camp
- Overnight #1: Knots & cordage / fire-building
- Overnight #2: Stop The Bleed - Bleeding Control Basic / Extended night-time first aid scenarios
Waterproof Red Cross Wilderness & Remote Field Guide
Optional: Stop The Bleed certification (American College of Surgeons)